“We feared that there would be someone deceased”

The sidewalk is interrupted at number 26 of the Rambla Nova. The blue metal fences and the plastic tape with the word Mossos d'Esquadra delimit the width of the facade of the Koyo restaurant, which on Sunday afternoon had an explosion caused by an accumulation of gas in the kitchen.

The news of the day after has been the recovery of the seven wounded on Sunday afternoon, all admitted to the hospitals of Joan XXIII and Santa Tecla. Throughout the morning they have been discharged and have been able to return home. Five are workers of the Japanese food restaurant, two were pedestrians who at the time of the explosion received the impact of the windows as they fragmented towards the street.

And the shock was enormous. Some of the curious have come to see how the investigative work was going on to clarify what were the reasons for the accident, which the Diari advanced yesterday that could have a first consistent hypothesis: the manipulation of a sealed key due to a leak detected on the morning of the facts.

The residents who walked this section of the Rambla Nova averted their eyes beyond the fences. They observed part of the material damage caused by the blast wave.

"We feared that there would be someone deceased, since it happened in an hour where people usually finish eating and the workers are still inside," commented Gloria, a neighbor, while contemplating the premises. Providence wanted the place to be empty of customers and without the usual queues to pick up food. This allowed the number of injured to be small and even that the misfortune had not ended in a major catastrophe.

Andreu, another neighbor in the area, assures that he lives about 30 meters from the restaurant. "We heard the explosion, we went out to the balcony, we saw the windows and we called 112 without really knowing what had happened." After the outburst, silence. But this void was quickly filled with a large number of sirens from the Bombers, Guàrdia Urbana de Tarragona, Mossos and SEM.

On the upper floors, today, Monday, life has been normal. Above there is a notary and its workers have been able to access without problem. In fact, the kitchen where the explosion took place was further down the basement, so this floor located above the restaurant has not suffered any damage.

This morning the experts and administrators of the estate have approached the premises to analyze the extent of the damage caused by the explosion, which is still remarkably visible. Luckily, the damage can be corrected and the structure, which could put the property in check, would not be affected.

The aftermath of the explosion will still be talked about. It remains to be determined if the explosion was ultimately negligence and when the damage will be repaired to reopen the premises, one of the most frequented for its original Japanese cuisine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Go up