"That June 18, my life was paralyzed"

Jordi Navas, 35, a resident of Reus and a computer scientist by profession, had his life stopped on June 18. It was Saturday and he was spending a quiet day at the beach with his wife and his brother-in-law. “I started to notice a tingling in my left arm. I didn't give it more importance. I thought I had a heat stroke and decided to take a shower, "says Navas. On the way to the beach shower, the protagonist already noticed that he was staggering and, when he returned to the towel, his mouth froze and he began to speak badly. Clear symptoms of a stroke. He had to run.

Navas entered the Sant Joan hospital in Reus at two in the afternoon and, at six in the afternoon, he entered the Joan XXIII hospital in Tarragona. It was then that, for the first time, Navas heard the words: Codi Ictus. At that moment, the protagonist of the story was conscious, but he could not stand on his feet. The left part of his body was completely paralyzed. In his case, the diagnosis was not easy and he spent 18 days in the hospital. I will never forget the first night. He was alone in a room full of cameras. I was feeling how my whole body was gradually paralyzed, "explains Navas.

Finally, and after many tests, he was diagnosed with an ischemic stroke. «I imagined it, considering that I have a history. My uncle, aged 34, also suffered a stroke. In that hemorrhagic case, ”says the protagonist.

“At that moment, life and plans come to a complete standstill. Everything we had planned falls apart. This summer I wanted to get in shape to learn how to snorkel. But I didn't arrive on time. As soon as summer arrived, my body already told me no, "explains Navas, who, on the other hand, makes it clear that at no time has he collapsed. In fact, the first meeting with his wife after suffering the stroke, Navas told her: "I've gone to hell, but darling, we're going to fight, because I'm alive," he says.

During his stay in the hospital, Navas received personalized rehabilitation, with a physical therapist, an occupational therapist, and a speech therapist. "It was an hour a day. They taught me to speak, to swallow, to dress and to walk… They taught me to live again », she says.

Currently, Navas goes to rehabilitation five days a week, three for public health and two for private. “And because there is no service on the weekend, otherwise I would go too,” he says. He can walk, but not run or jump. The mobility of his arm is still complicated and his hand is already beginning to be useful. The protagonist wants to return to his work as soon as possible.

Navas thanks all the health personnel for the treatment received throughout the entire procedure, but he also wants to take advantage of this interview to claim that the public health system allows more rehabilitation sessions, depending on the severity of the case. “I can pay for more sessions, but there are those who can't. Everyone should have the same right to recover," Navas concludes.

"Time was money"

Francisco Pérez is another survivor. He is 57 years old, a resident of Cambrils and a carrier. His X day was February 1 this year. At seven in the morning, he was on his way to his ship to work. "I felt a very strong pain in my head and, when I got into the truck, my arm and leg failed me and I fell," explains Pérez. The patrons of the bar next to his ship realized what had happened and went to help him get up from the ground. "I insisted that nothing was wrong with me, that it was not necessary to call the ambulance," recalls the protagonist. Those present there ignored him and alerted the emergency services.

Pérez did not lose consciousness at any time. He explains that he even remembers the operation. "Time was money," they told me. They put a catheter, a stent. Despite the seriousness of the stroke, Pérez has not had any important consequences. "We were surprised when I saw that he had recovered the vision in his right eye," explains the protagonist, who adds "that day the planets aligned." Pérez's ordeal was lengthened, since they had to intervene for a hemorrhage and, for dessert, he caught the Covid and spent 11 days in the ICU.

“A week after leaving the hospital, I started to walk. And a month, to go by bicycle. Now, eight months after the stroke, I have already started working," explains Pérez, who adds that "I have reset my life. Before I was under a lot of stress, running and up and down. Now I take everything more calmly. Two stories of overcoming.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Go up