A fishing championship in Riba-Roja ends with 47 complaints
Agents of the Seprona of the Tarragona Civil Guard filed a total of 47 complaints of various types, related to fishing, within the framework of the celebration of the Catalan Fishing Championship, which was held on the weekend of October 22 and 23 in the Riba-Roja d'Ebre reservoir.
Among others, the complaints were for making a fire without permission, for poor management of hazardous waste (such as asbestos) or for camping without authorization in a Public Hydraulic Domain Zone. In addition, a total of 15 fishing rods were seized, detecting up to 60 kilos of live invasive toxic fish after fishing. Up to 54 people were identified.
This championship had a large influx of fans and tourists and is prior to the next Spanish Fishing Championship for regional Freshwater Cebador catch-and-release teams in the Master category, which will be held on November 3 and 5, also in the Embalse de Riba-roja d'Ebre.
The Riba-roja d'Ebre Reservoir extends from the town of Riba-roja to Mequinenza, and is one of the most unusual and unspoilt areas in the interior of Catalonia, with fishing being one of the most popular activities in the area, along with many others of a nautical nature.
The swamp contains different native varieties of fish, as well as introduced species (invasive aliens) and is very popular among fans of the carp fishing (catch without death) which makes it a place of pilgrimage for fans of sport fishing.
Councils of the Civil Guard
In a statement, the Civil Guard has made a series of warnings so that these events are not repeated:
1. It is forbidden to bait the fish, either with pellets or live bait, and that feeding them artificially (baiting a specific area of the river waters) only endangers their own future.
2. All fishing gear must be diligently collected by its owners; controlling this extreme is important, since it constitutes a danger for the birds that feed on the banks of the river, that the gear and lines are abandoned. In the same way, it is not allowed to leave garbage on the shore and adjoining areas.
3. In protection of biodiversity and native species, that cataloged invasive alien species can be captured within the framework of control strategies and campaigns as a management, control and eradication measure, but that in these cases or in case Bycatch, they must be slaughtered at the time of capture, whatever their length, and in no case can they be kept alive in holding bags or returned to the natural environment.
4. The dead specimens of invasive alien species, captured during the fishing day, can be transported to the disposal site (deixallería or clean point) as organic waste, in accordance with what is referenced in Resolution ACC/626/2022 of 7 of March, by which fishing is ordered in the continental waters of Catalonia during the 2022 season, if its state of conservation is not optimal to be eliminated for self-consumption or transferred to charity centers.
5. Telephone 062 of the Civil Guard, is available and available to the citizen, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, to communicate any event that may cause damage or alterations to the environment or cases of animal abuse.